A+A - A Wedding Quilt

plus sign quilt
The summer is winding down (ugh, where did it go?!) and so it's about time I show off the project I spent the vast majority of spring and summer working on. I made this quilt for a friend that got married at the end of August -- it was my intention to gift her and her new husband with something special and thoughtful. I think I accomplished that.

But it was a battle to do so.

From the beginning, this was a quilting project that I could learn lessons from. Remember, this is only the third quilt I've ever assembled, but since this was always intended to be a gift, I wanted to make it perfect.

plus sign quilt in full




Lessons I learned while making this quilt:
1). Calculate yardage before beginning. Maybe it's through working off a pattern, maybe it's by doing the math yourself, but I learned that knowing the yardage of fabric you'll need will make it a little less stressful at the fabric store.

2). Buy all the fabric at once. I thought it'd be fun to grab a couple of fat quarters and make a test block to really be sure that I wanted to do the Swiss cross pattern. That's all well and good, but I didn't write down the exact colour of grey I was using and therefore ended up with something a little off. On top of all that -- due to making mistake #1, I had to go back and buy more of the grey, which - while being the same Kona solid colour - was from a completely different bolt of fabric, and therefore slightly lighter due to being exposed to sunlight. A good eye can spot the colour differences in the photos - but I will admit, I'm thankful that the quilting design covers it up a little bit.

3). It's worth it to take your time. This was the most finicky quilt yet, if only because of the fact that I was using much smaller cut fabric pieces in this quilt as compared to the others. I knew going in that I had to be careful with measurements, but I really didn't realize how time consuming assembling the blocks was until I was in the middle of it. This really was a whole summer-long project.

Overall, I'm pleased with how this turned out -- and even more happy with the lessons I learned to transfer to future quilting projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment